A Introduction of Machine Design V B Bhandari
Machine Design is creation of plans for the machine to perform the desired functions. Machine design can be defined as creation of right combination of correctly proportioned moving and stationary components so constructed and joined as to enable the liberation, transformation and utilization of energy.
In machine design, the designer’s task is to determine the motion, forces and energy transfer involved so as to determine the sizes, shapes and materials for each element of the machine. When any component of machine ceases to perform its intended function, machine element or machine is said to have failed. Generally the machine elements are designed on the basis of strength and rigidity so that they are able to withstand the applied load with permissible deformation or stress.
In addition to strength and stiffness, other factors that are considered in design of machine element are weight, cost, wear, safety, reliability etc. Design work may involve concentrating on one component at a time, but it is very important to simultaneously consider its relation with the other components and the product as a whole.
In machine design, as in any other kind of design, no standard procedure or rigid rules can be specified for the designer, but the following steps are generally followed:Machine Design V B Bhandari
- Problem to be solved or desired purpose of the machine is completely and clearly stated.
- Possible mechanisms that will provide the desired motion or set of motions are selected.
- Forces acting on and energy transmitted by each element of the machine are determined.
- Best suitable material is selected for each of the machine element.
- Allowable values of stress and deflection are determined for each machine element, depending upon its material and functional requirements.Machine Design V B Bhandari ENGINEERING MECHANICS
- Size and shape of each machine element is determined so that it can withstand the applied loads without failure.
- Dimensions of the machine elements are modified considering manufacturing aspects.
- Assembly and detailed drawings of the machine are made with complete specification of materials and manufacturing methods.Machine Design V B Bhandari FLUID DYNAMICS
Design Considerations :
As discussed in the previous article, strength and stiffness are very important factors that are considered in machine design but there are a number of other considerations that the designer has to keep in mind while designing any product. Some of the important factors considered in design are listed below:Machine Design V B BhandariComputer-Aided Design, Manufacturing, Modeling and Simulation VEHICLE DYNAMICS
- Thermal Properties
- Surface Finish